A Revolutionary Film

Daniel McClymont, Contributor

Black Panther is the latest MCU movie to be released, making it their 18th film since their first movie Iron Man in 2008. Black Panther has been a huge success worldwide making $202 million opening weekend in the U.S. and is currently at $1.18 billion worldwide which would make it the 5th MCU movie to make $1 billion and the first to make $1 billion without Robert Downey Jr. as Iron Man.

One of the reasons for Black Panther success is because it is a big budget blockbuster with a primarily black cast which is very uncommon in movies today, it is also the first superhero movie with an African-American lead since Blade: Trinity (2004).

Black Panther and its representation of African-Americans has skyrocketed the black community’s enthusiasm for future movies like this. T’Challa represents them in a way no other movie has been able to do in a long time, it portrays a relatable concept for them.

Black Panther was a very good movie with amazing writing, acting, and cinematography, and it was amazing how they brought this whole country and its culture into this universe with only one movie. I personally think that the movies antagonist, Killmonger, played by Michael B. Jordan, is one of the best superhero movie villains, you could see where he is coming from and why he wants to do what he’s trying to do, but obviously he is the villain so he goes about doing the wrong way. Two of my favorite parts of the movie were when T’Challa and M’Baku were fighting on the waterfall for the trial of the king, and when T’Challa and Shuri were looking at all her new gadgets.

My favorite character was Shuri, T’Challa’s sister, because she was very funny and had a lot of cool gadgets for the Black Panther suit, and she is also very useful when helping T’Challa during fight scenes.

If I had to give the movie a rating i would have to give it an 8/10.

The only thing I didn’t like about his character is that at the end of the movie during the final battle he just becomes your stereotypical evil version of the main hero. I would have to say that overall the movie was amazing but one of my complaints I have about the movie is that the while the action was pretty good it was still nothing compared to what we’ve seen in movies like Civil War and the CGI was terrible, especially during the final battle on the bridge between T’Challa and Killmonger.

To get more opinions on the movie I decided to ask students at South Broward High School what they thought of the movie so i could get opinions of people our age rather than just hearing what professional movie reviewers. So I interviewed Andy Rogatinsky on what he thinks of Black Panther

Q-“Did you like Black Panther?”

A-“Yes”

Q-”Why did you like it?”

A-“I liked the relevant comedy that was put throughout the movie and i thought the characters were very interesting”

Daniel McClymont, Contributor

Meet Daniel McClymont, a 16-year-old who goes to South Broward High School. Daniel has a couple fears, but his biggest fear is failing high school. Some places that Daniel plans on visiting are New York, Los Angeles, and Egypt which sounds cool to visit. He likes to listen to is rap and he dislikes country music. Some of Daniel’s dreams are passing high school, getting a good job, and having a great host to live with. Daniel wishes that he can speak more than one language and the language that he would like to speak is Spanish.